[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 10:29:17 EDT 2006

Forumists should strive at fostering credible Journalism

One thing that I beckon people, at the IGF and particularly active
participants on this forum, to understand is that their inputs are
sources for news articles. And when a Journalist uses such material,
he or she needs to provide the source or see the article thrown to the
dust bin or if published, he/she queues up for a plagiarism case. The
source here means who said what and why and MOST IMPORTANTLY, who is
that person that said what and where is the person from. This enables
(what we refer to as) attribution to be credible so that the reader
trusts the information since the source could be traced.
Unfortunately, most people at this forum do not sign their inputs with
theirs name plates as Professor Lee and Mr Singh does. When
resourceful persons like Adams Pearke, Milton Mueller, Avri Doria etc,
conceal their identification, they render the task of the Journalist
difficult and reporting on IGF poor. The end result being that the
important work being done here end up not being well known by the
public. And Reporters' articles end up in the bottom "page" of the
Editor's dust bin. A frustrating thing isn't it?
My appeal is that, forumist should henceforth let their name plate
appear at the end of their contributions. This should be in manner of
Professor Lee, Dr Jean Louis Fullsack and Mr Singh. They all score
high marks from the journalism milieu!!!.
So doing, you would be fostering credible Journalism. I know that the
big brains at IGF want but just that.
OR DO YOU LIKE TO SEE MY PAPER BEING DUMPED AT THE BOTTOM "PAGE" OF MY
EDITOR'S DUSTBIN?

Kudos, for the rich inputs on the various agendas

Forumly yours
NAA

On 8/1/06, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 01:06:26PM +0200,
>  Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 1421 lines which said:
>
> > As far as I know, there is no possibility today to create entities
> > directly at the international level,
>
> It is indeed a big problem. Do note that, even inside the European
> Union only, the problem exists: none of the contenders for the
> management of ".eu" was "european" for that reason.
>
> > ICANN was incorporated as a US non-profit corporation for many
> > reasons. But one of them is that there was no way to do anything
> > else directly at the international level.
>
> This is a very weak argument. Because, if it were a real reason, ICANN
> could have been incorporated anywhere in the world.
>
> > As the traditional mechanism of a pure intergovernmental
> > organization is obviously not appropriate, what status could be
> > created so for a new type of international, multi-stakeholder
> > structure ? And what law would apply, irrespective of the place its
> > "offices" are located in ?
>
> A realistic and short-term solution, which I suggested at the WSIS, is
> simply to host the new structure in an "innocent country", a small and
> quite neutral country which, unlike the USA or China or France, seems
> safe for everyone. Costa-Rica or Finland are two typical examples (and
> they have good Internet connectivity).
>
> But the hosting country is typically a detail: noone complains that
> the RIPE-NCC is a Dutch organization (because it cannot be
> european). That is because there is no MoU between the RIPE-NCC and
> the Dutch governement and no claims from the Dutch governement that it
> owns the Internet.

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President