[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Tue Aug 1 10:30:59 EDT 2006

This whole idea for creating a new root fiasco is a bit simple minded.
Every country should have their own root system.  In some places it should
even be legislated into place to ensure privacy of root transactions.

http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/papers/Root_Server_Privacy_Complaint.pdf

To start creating a new root corporation with all the bells and whisles is
just miltons way of sayig - keep the free lunch boxes coming.

To gurantee independence of the root infrastructure the best means of
assuring that is by running your own.  When sufficient countries are doing
so then it will become critical to co-ordinate the labels - but for now a
simple sync between the new root and the iana root will suffice.

No need for more simple minded wsis or icann meetings that no one much
cares to attend, except the free lunch crowd.

cheers
joe

     governance at lists.cpsr.org