[governance] individuals

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Thu Apr 27 20:57:08 EDT 2006

Meryem,

Google.com has 50,000 + references to "policy entrepreneurs"! ... The first two of which provide the following definitions...

The policy community has seen the gradual development of a third dimension, composed of non-academic and even some academic experts, former government employees, journalists and lobbyists. Unlike the academics, the policy entrepreneurs' interest in the issue is not intellectual, nor is their objective the advancement of knowledge. They are primarily driven by a policy preference, which they seek to impose on the policy-making process. They bring a composite of concern, professionalism and ideological activism to bear on this task. M. A. Muqtedar Khan, Policy Entrepreneurs: The Third Dimension in American Foreign-policy Culture

Policy entrepreneurs can be defined as organisations that take advantage of windows of opportunity opened by other policy actors, for instance specific policy programmes. They are in constant search for possible problems for which they can offer a solution (Kingdon 1984; Majone, Tame et al. 1996). Markus Perkmann, Policy entrepreneurs, multilevel governance and policy networks in the European polity: The case of the EUREGIO.

MG

-----Original Message-----
From: governance-bounces at lists.cpsr.org [mailto:governance-bounces at lists.cpsr.org] On Behalf Of Meryem Marzouki
Sent: April 28, 2006 1:51 AM
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Subject: Re: [governance] individuals

Le 27 avr. 06 à 23:57, Gurstein, Michael a écrit :

> The introduction of a "market" model where influencing policy is
> not a matter of creating coalitions and "politiking" but rather
> where policy entrepreneurs identify an idea, marshall resources
> around the idea (access grant funds for example) and then market
> the Heck out of it with the "winner" taking the "prizes" and
> everybody else licking their wounds is I think, something new on
> the international scene (and particularly for CS) but of course it
> is precisely how the game is played in the US policy (including
> both the for and not for profit lobbyist) marketplace.

Perhaps we're not talking about the same thing..
Are you referring here to what Phil Agre calls "issue
entrepreneurship" ? If so, then it's different from what "The new
spirit of capitalism" analyzes, which is the new forms of work
organization and management, and their isomorphisms with new forms of
activism.
I wouldn't call the former a "model" (I would be tempted to call it
an - unfortunately unavoidable - parasitic epiphenomenon, if only it
wasn't less and less "epi": increasing, yet not becoming a "model"
only because of that... Game of the day: identify at least three
internet governance entrepreneurs on this list:)). The latter is
indeed a model which organizational form is the network (though not
characterized only by its form of organization).

Meryem