[governance] individuals

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Thu Apr 27 06:12:18 EDT 2006

Vittorio and all those who have made similar points.

I don't think that the fact that participants in this enterprise are
volunteers relieves them of the responsibilities attendant on
participation in this enterprise.

It may make fulfilling those responsibilities more difficulty and thus
reduce the numbers of those able to fully participate (and thus gain the
"benefits" of participation) but otherwise I don't see why or how it
changes the requirement for CS to act in a manner consistent with CS if
one is going to claim to be (or following your point), accept to be
recognized as speaking on behalf of CS.

I'm a (voluntary) parent -- with that role goes a variety of
responsibilities -- some I'm "into" and find enjoyable and consistent
with my other skills and interests and others not so.  I became a parent
for a complex nest of reasons but in large part because I considered
doing so overall of benefit.  The fact that my initial decision was
voluntary doesn't relieve me of having to execute the various
responsibilities attendant on that decision whether or not I happen to
be "into them" or wish at any particular moment to "put time and
commitment into it"...

MG