[governance] individuals

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Wed Apr 26 08:35:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

I think the model breakdown is useful. And i agree with a preference
for the network model.  The academic and network architect in me,
makes it tempting to get theoretical and argue that a network where a
node can be either an individual of another node of individuals is a
good thing, but I will avoid that.  I think it is important though
that it is a model that works in that the both the individuals and
the NGO have the opportunity to participate and the individual who is
part of an NGO can participate both directly and indirectly through
the NGO, giving the NGO extra weight by virtue of it multiple levels
of participation in the network.

I am not sure sure though that I understand how you decide that CS-
IGC as currently constituted more as model 2 (market place ruled by
the few who control resources) then 3 (cooperation/collaboration/
coalition).

While I would not argue that things are perfect, hence my desire to
see a bit or reorganization and charter writing, elements of the
IGC's actuality lead me to think that at least we are trying to
achieve model 3:

- Most discussions and decisions are made via email, which for all
its clunkiness is as available to everyone as possible in today's world.
- often individuals from very different backgrounds and perspectives
work together in loose and ad-hoc coalitions to get things done.
- travel for many to events in Geneva and elsewhere is subsidized for
those from the developing world, though certainly not to the extent
one could wish for.

In terms of language, yes, English is still the language of least
common denominator.  The translation service provided for the plenary
list is a good addition, and is something we should consider trying
to get for this caucus, though finances is an issue in doing so.  And
to get financing i think we need to define ourselves, our goals and
our methods.

I personally agree that outreach is a critical function, but argue
that it is not something that is ever fully achieved, i.e. we can
never do enough.  but I think this caucus does do outreach.  e.g.
without arguing that the IGC was the one true voice of CS, the caucus
did do  outreach when selecting its nominees for the IGF
multistakeholder advisory group.  And while not assuming that sending
notification to the plenary was enough we sent to many other lists
and asked people to pass it on (the network model - i.e. use of
broadcast and epidemic routing mechanism).  We need to do more and
need to do it all the time.  I personally think that this
conversation on the list on our identity is another form of outreach
to the silent members of the list.  In my mind it is an attempt to
find out what we need to do to be more open to those who had enough
interest in the subject to sign up for the list yet who haven't found
the way open for their participation - for whatever reasons.

but as I said i agree we need to do more outreach, and i think need
to have some members who think enough of outreach to put some focus
into the ways in which it can be done effectively.   having been
brought up in the open list world where an open list was considered
to be the best way to openness and for reaching out, i have learned
since becoming invovled in civil society that this is not adequate.
i still don't know what it take to achieve sufficient opennes and
outreach and am hoing these conversations brings that out.  other
then multiple language capability - which is still difficult (either
we all learn multiple languages or we need automatic translators),
what is needed?

a.