[governance] individuals

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Apr 26 07:27:16 EDT 2006

Bram and others,

To get a bit theoretical here, I think there are 3 separate models at
play...
	1. the "representational" model which is inherently
centralizing, and top down i.e. top-down institutions set up rules that
require others to similarly produce top-down "representatives" (however
they are selected) to "speak on behalf" of others i.e. constituencies.

	2. the "market" model which is inherently competitive and
individualistic i.e. where individuals (or collectivities operating as
pseudo individuals) compete in some sort of marketplace for some sort of
set of rewards (in this case influence on global public policy) and
where "success" in this marketplace depends on access to unequally
distributed resources -- e.g. time, travel money, the appropriate
language for discourse, "air time", or as folks here seem to be
suggesting the inherent value/significance of the ideas or expertise of
individuals.

	3. the "network" model which is I think the appropriate one here
as it allows for (and even enables) cooperation/collaboration/coalition
building and is in itself neutral as to whether the participating
elements (nodes) are individuals or institutions or collectivities of
some other variety...

It seems to me that CS must necessarily operate by means of the
"network" model as a collectivity of links and nodes sharing some
minimal set of common positions and working as the need arises towards
some common goals.

The problem as I see it is that for whatever reason, CS in this instance
is operating on the basis of the second (market) model where "access to
influence" i.e. participation in the IGF/designation as THE CS-IGC is a
direct product of one's access to the above mentioned resources (time,
travel money, ideas etc.).  In fact IMHO CS should necessarily be
operating on the basis of the third model since this is the means by
which a true measure of inclusion and broad based consensus building can
be achieved, particularly because as everyone apparently agrees, the
first (representational model) is too expensive and cumbersome to work
in this context.

MG