[governance] individuals

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Apr 25 17:19:00 EDT 2006

On 25 apr 2006, at 16.48, Meryem Marzouki wrote:

> You said yourself that you "have occasionally looked at NGO's and
> tried to put their particpation into perspective."
> Do you think you could ever say that you "have occasionally looked at
> individuals and tried to put their particpation into perspective." ?

well, in a sense yes.  when looking at NGOs the perspective i was
trying to find, was vis a vis the individual and in comparison to
other NGOs.

also, with an individual I sometimes find myself trying to understand
whether the individual is speaking for themselves as themselves, for
themselves from a particular perspective they are putting on the sake
of argument or advocacy, or as an individual acting in a role with
some organization they may associate with.

i have a similar issue when listening to those of us who associate
with NGOs.  are we speaking as individuals from our personal
perspectives, as advocates for the NGO and its goals, as
representatives of the NGO, as representatives of the NGO constituency.

as members of the IGC and other lists, we belong to many groups and
unless we tag every message we write with the hat we are wearing when
we speak i think it is difficult to do more then, as i think Bret
sort of says, try and determine whether the idea presented is
understandable and something we can agree with from our perspective
or from what we believe to be a valuable other perspective.

a.