[governance] individuals

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Apr 25 16:48:29 EDT 2006

Avri,

Maybe it was not clear, but I think that one of my points in the
message you're replying to was indeed that the significance of
collective action w.r.t. individual action was not in such criteria.
However, one cannot ignore that there is some significance in being
1000 rather than 10. But not that much in terms of legitimacy: some
consumer (or other sorts of) organizations, e.g., have thousands of
members because they deliver services to those who take their
membership cards; however, it doesn't mean much when they speak in
their names.
The difference is neither in the formal status/structure (as you
perfectly said, one person - as a matter of fact, it needs at least
two in France to set up a non profit  - may fill papers), nor really
in the number. Or in saying relevant things. Although each of this
criteria may bring some kind of legitimacy.
The real difference relies in accountability: one day or another, in
some way or another, organizations (groups) acting collectively have
to be accountable and to face its own records.
You said yourself that you "have occasionally looked at NGO's and
tried to put their particpation into perspective."
Do you think you could ever say that you "have occasionally looked at
individuals and tried to put their particpation into perspective." ?
There relies the main difference, in my opinion. I hope - though am
not sure of this - that I've made my point clearer.

Meryem