[governance] individuals

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Tue Apr 25 15:45:53 EDT 2006

At 11:52 AM 25.4.2006 '?.'  -0700, Bret Fausett wrote:
>Rather than finding a way to weigh NGOs/individuals, I'd rather articulate a
>set of principles by which we can measure whether their contributions
>benefit the public interest. In other words, can we measure the merit of the
>contributions rather than the size and legitimacy of the contribitor?

That's quite difficult judgement.

Sometimes a sentence from here, and a sentence from there is more
valualble than a paper from somewhere else.
I, for a good known reason, always believed that it's important not
to measure contributions, but actual things DONE. My country
delegation has stated several times on during the WSIS meetings -
before we solve the "global" Internet Governance problem, let's see
who did what in their own country.

So, will you try to measure ideas, actions, or results?

best,
Veni

p.s.
But on a previous topic, generally speaking, if an individual is
good, he or she sooner or later will either create an NGO, or will
join one. Or a government. Or a private company. Or (s)he has already
done so. But, being a Bulgarian lawyer, I wouldn't dare to challenge
you - an American (yet an US) lawyer on that ;)

As for measuring individuals, I think every individual here is quite
a person with great personality! (The author is humble exception, of
course). I don't think anyone of us would like to "measure" the
others, and the NGOs they work for / created / represent.

v.