[governance] individuals & groups

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Tue Apr 25 11:29:14 EDT 2006

Hi Danny, everyone,

Having accomplished the significant administrative task of
proving we can still be a mailing list with a coordinator - that only
took 6 months : ) -  I agree it is time to look to longer term,
more fundamental issues.

I think we need to step back some and think more
about the Internet Governance Forum as a new international
institution, other ongoing Internet governance processes,
and our individual and collective CS policy goals.

And how they relate to this caucus.

Personally I will admit to being comfortable in the current
non-structure, kind of fun to watch the foodfights if people
aren't usually aiming at you.

But I also recognize that even non-institutions evolve in response to the
changing landscape around them.

And here it is starting to feel like a caucus in the political
 sense, even if by current design it is an extremely amorphous
and slow acting politiical animal.

 Whether it needs to become a different kind of beast,
or spawn several new sub-species to deal with additional
ongoing Internet governance isssues in a coordinated fashion, is
the open question.   I list a few more below and my first answers, reserving the
right to change my mind : )

Should  'delegates' to the caucus from major NGOs have more formal
expectations and privileges?  (no, but they're welcome to help as much as they can)

Does the caucus need a more formal outreach effort to groups and
 individuals worldwide? (yes of course - so you Danny & Vittorio should get to work on that asap : )

Can it 'issue' position statements in the name of the collectivity or only for individual
 members of the IGC? (yes when rough consensus reached, falling back to listed
 indivudal members being free to ally using the IGCs brand name for identification if
not endorsement purposes, when even rough consensus is not reached. I think that actually
worked well in retrospect over the past couple years. Formal voting is an option for when suitable
tools & issues are present. )

Whether/if budget should be sought, etc etc -  (no comment, IGP also has its hand out: )
are some of the agenda items to consider.

I have previously argued for the IETF as perhaps the right mental
model for comparison.  Since we're talking about (re-)fashioning the global
political architecture around the Internet.  So we're individual members,
perhaps backed by organizations. Obviously the analogy breaks down at some point
but if you compare the IETF post-commercial Internet launch to its earlier incarnations,
the IETF had to scale and deal with many more issues and demands - but also
being careful to draw the line at what was not its responsibility.
That's the challenge here, to define what the IGC should do versus what others should do.
While defining wht the IGF should be.

In an 'architectural' way that leaves everyoine flexibility for the future but delineates roles
and expectations now.

(Then the IGF is more of an 'ICANN-like' structure with governments and business throwing
their weight around. And of course the challenge is to exert enough counter-weight to not be
crushed as has happened to some on this list more than a few times over the years in other
venues. One of whcih I just named)

This also suggests that Avri's election by acclimation - and by proving her merit by
successfully managing the Nomcom - is perfectly reasonable in an organization in which
expertise is a prime currency and source of credibility.  Kind of like...how someone gets to lead
IETF working groups or the organization itself.

A volunteer mailing list can only do so much, but in certain circumstances more than
other forms of organization.  There's a lot of reasons IETF stayed as squishy and virtual in
structure as it has.

Is the IGC sustainable as is into an era in which it is
 interacting with a new UN institution?

Avri's answer is no, and on that I think she is right.

But what the IGC caucus will look like versus any number of alternatives including
new specialized cross-group coordinatinng mechanisms around the issues settled on as
part of the IGF's version 1.0 agenda -  well that's still a little fuzzy in my crystal ball.

During this transition period we should all keep patting Avri on the back - and maybe pitch
in with a shoulder or more as Avri does her Sisyphean imitation to get us to a new collective point
of rough consensus on the above & more  - in a  mere few months! : )

Lee

PS: Oh yeah in the midst of that we need to be
communicating/aiding our 'reps' on the MAG about what CS
wants to see at the agenda-setting 1st IGF meeting. One more miinor matter to focus on!

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

On 24/04/2006, at 7:40 PM, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> Things could be different if you were to build a global,
> complex representative structure, but as long as this caucus is
> meant to
> be the "think-tank" of that handful of active people in the field, all
> of us should be peers; and I think that we should not forget that the
> Internet, even in the user rights advocacy field, has been up to now
> very often, if not mostly, shaped by lonely active individuals.

So, for example, the 100million-plus Internet users in China aren't
here because... they're not active? Or that they're not interested in
the rights of users? Or civil society doesn't exist there? Or there
are too many people for them to be lonely? Or they're not
individuals?...

I'll be blunt with my opinion: if the IGC doesn't scale in capacity
and diversity it won't be taken seriously. I think that assessment is
in keeping with the annoyance expressed at the process of
coordinating our IGF theme proposals. The "working methods" in place
have not scaled, I don't see how they can be taken as being
successful or not in need of significant change. Well, I can see that
if the vision of civil society input into internet governance is
30-40 people setting the agenda then things are fine. But I would
cast people's mind back to the comments by the Indian delegation at
the presentation of the WGIG report where the question of CS
legitimacy and representativeness has already been raised.

 From my point of view those criticisms will best be addressed by a
strategy of fostering openness and participation - especially by NGOs
working in the field. After all, NGOs are staffed and run by
individuals who have gathered resources to further particular issues.
In the political process they become markers of the ongoing relevance
of particular issues (e.g. it's not from an individual who'll change
their mind next week), or in some cases a proxy for a group of people
interested in those issues.

You can't write policy based on individuals. Well you can, when
you're a small group of engineers and enthusiasts setting up a
network. But to bring up the role of the individual in global policy
participation (I mean process, not the idea of the individual in
human rights) is pure ideology when so many of them are not here. We
are talking about decisions that affect hundreds of millions of
people! With a background in user experience testing, I've become
very used to the idea that it's hard to know what the user is
thinking without testing it. Because users behave surprisingly
differently to oneself. I don't trust myself - or anyone on this list
- to represent the rights of the individual user, whoever they are.
Thus, my previous point about effective mechanisms for participation
and accountability to our diverse constituency. "Over-organisation is
counterproductive", it's true, but that statement also a common
ideology among those who do well out of a laissez-faire setup and
would prefer to not have to negotiate with different views.

I couldn't care less about being an individual in this process. What
I care about are the issues: human rights, development, diversity,
etc. I'd be ecstatic if I didn't have to spend my time working on
them, if there were NGOs on board who could use their capacity to do
a better job than I do, if the IGC didn't need to exist because the
issues were always on the table. I don't spend my time here because I
want to be a part of 30-40 smart and active people: I am looking for
a productive platform where my contributions can make a difference -
and where other people working on them can make a difference. The
combination of individualism and wanting fewer seats at the table
seems to me to be the largest barrier to this being the kind of
platform I think CS should represent.

Regards

Danny