[governance] IGC Participation

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun Apr 23 15:10:20 EDT 2006

Avri Doria ha scritto:
> Yes, i think most of the coordination during the interim period would
> involve IGC mission, methods and process.  And while it is possible,
> depending on how long it takes us to come to closure on these issues
> that we could have substantive work to do, i do not believe there is
> any means by which anyone, myself included, can call consensus in
> this group at the moment - except by establishing an ad-hoc process
> to try and determine full consensus.  so if there were something
> substantive that needed to be done during the, hopefully short,
> interim period when i was a single coordinator, i would hope we could
> develop an ad-hoc process by which to do the work - and i am sure i
> would suggest something.  at the moment it looks like the schedule is
> clear until after the May consultations at least.

I've just connected and read the entire discussion, so let me try to sum
it up. Perhaps we can get out of the deadlock by adopting an opt-in
approach, i.e. rather than picking one or two co-coordinators, we could
ask you to lead an open online working group that would prepare a basic
charter and rules of order for the caucus. I guess that most of the
people that are participating in this discussion would be happy to join
and contribute to that.

Once a charter is worked out, we simply ask to people to sign up to it
and thus become members of the "caucus v2.0", perhaps with a clause so
that unless at least, say, 50% of the current list members do so, the
new charter won't become operational. Any other people who won't join -
either because uneligible according to the new charter, or because they
don't want - may stay on the list (we'll see whether a separate
members-only list is necessary for organizational, non-substantial issues).

In the meantime, I guess we will refrain from making any substantial
statement, but perhaps we can speed up the process and try to close it
in a few weeks, so to be ready by the summer.