[governance] coordinating the IGC

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun Apr 23 04:35:37 EDT 2006

Dear list,

what about drafting by doing? We have to clarify a lot of procedural issues - and I support here Avri´s approach - and we have to have workable mechanisms. But please, do not try to be too specific which will underminde flexibility in the future. The real challenge comes with the substance. We should not repeat the painful discussions we had in the WSIS process between the CS Bureau and CS Content&Themes. We should not only preach "bottom up", we should practice it. Do not try to be perfect, try to be good. We need procedures and methods which help us to clarify issues, to develop policies and to draft language for negotiation processes.

This brings me to the next point: Should the IGC concentrate on the IGF? Should it include "enhanced cooperation"? And what about ICANN? And what about other broader IG issues under dicussion in the OECD, ITU, WIPO, UNESCO, The Global Alliance etc.? I believe that the IGC has the potential to become a key platform representing non-governmental and non-for-profit constituencies (the "third voice") in the coming broader Internet debate.  The way how the Caucus is designed is very different from other bodies. Lets keep this difference. Lets test it out how such an innovative NewMechanism (NeMe) can develop. We all need energy, engagement, optimism and patience. Think big, start small, move fast. Good times with great challenges :-)))

Wolfgang