[governance] coordinating the IGC

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sat Apr 22 11:48:54 EDT 2006

Let me make a suggestion here.

If the caucus can declare a coordinator by acclamation (or consensus or whatever set of words fit), then it can do so for co-coordinators.  In fact, co-coordinators would seem most suited to the circumstances.

Co-coordinators are in the (brief) tradition of the caucus.  If one person is to be selected in a special way, certainly two can be selected.  With this as the tradition it seems we even need the balance of co-coordinators, if there is to be special consensus selection.

But far and away most important, there is already a proposal before the caucus, requesting two people to take the helm at this special moment:  Avri and Bill.

I am traveling and unable to search my archive.  But I know there is one post already, asking Bill and Avri to step forward.  I am all but certain there is more than one post.  The proposition is on the table, and the suggestion here only reminds us.

Then the caucus does not have immediately to adopt provisions such as staggered terms or nominating committees and elections.  We see, in posts just the last little bit, there are natural questions raised to discuss these matters.  Instead, Avri and Bill can have a productive dialog between themselves, and with the caucus, to reach considered conclusions.

For instance, continuity for the caucus seems to turn more on cohesion in the group, than on mechanisms such as staggered terms.  But such structural arrangements might still be helpful (or not).  Two people, to whom the caucus has already turned, can see that discussion through, to an effective conclusion.  If there turns out to be a need to stagger remaining terms of these two consensus coordinators, that can be sorted out too.

Likewise the selection process to be used later can get suitable consideration.  But especially, a host of other matters that shape cohesion and effectiveness will have the benefit of two whom the caucus has already turned to.  As discussed by others, this is a special time when the caucus might outfit itself to be an effective partner in the IGF and other, related governance pursuits.  The caucus can, and it seems is well advised to, take advantage of the leadership of two it has already identified.

Then Avri especially is due very special thanks, for bootstrapping such a desirable outcome.

David