[governance] coordinating the IGC

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Apr 22 10:48:28 EDT 2006

Hi,

On 22 apr 2006, at 03.25, Paul Wilson wrote:

> I also welcome and support your offer to act as chair/coordinator
> for the IGC.  I do not see any problems at present with respect to
> your other activities, and I am confident that any future conflict
> of interest situations (if any) can be handled easily enough.

thanks.

> Regarding staggered 2-year terms, I support this proposal, both for
> continuity of knowledge and logistics, and because I think an
> annual election process is a useful thing (and conversely because
> having an election every 2 years is too infrequent).
>
> Can I ask you to confirm whether the terms "chair" and
> "coordinator" refer to the same role?  This is not entirely clear
> in your proposal.

Yes, it was a mis-typing.  The IGC has always had coordinators.  To
me, a chair is just  a coordinator that is easier to spell (i can't
seem to type coordinator correctly on the first try), but I know that
to some people sometimes the roles are different with a chair having
more authority then a coordinator would.  The IGC has had
coordinators from the beginning.  And that is the role I am thinking of.

a.