[governance] [A2k] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues for Athens

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Sun Apr 2 06:52:48 EDT 2006

Taran Rampersad wrote:
> Peter Eckersley wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 01:15:21AM -0400, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>>

>>>If you say that creators have no rights over what they create, I suppose
>>>that could be seen as trolling. Is that your contention?
>>>

>>I can't deny that they have legal rights.
>>
>>I do deny that that the exclusive right of reproduction (or the de facto
>>exclusive right of access) is a moral right, a natural right, a human right,
>>etc.  It's a legalised monopoly, and in digital environments it's dubious
>>policy.
>>

> I agree with you in the context of what is being implemented under the
> name 'DRM'; there's no simple panacea. I'm the person who doesn't
> understand why I can buy firewood and nail it together in the form of a
> house I would be charged with arson. As long as nobody else is hurt, and
> nobody else's property is damaged, I should be able to do what I wish.
>
> Not everything falls into neat piles when it comes to creating things.
> Morally speaking, I make my work as free as possible. Personally, I know
> I will never use means of infringing people's rights so that I get what
> I 'think I'm owed'; I'll leave that to the BSA, RIAA and MPAA. But I'm
> also leery of all of this talk about how someone can assure that they
> make a living - not rip people off. We're moving from a period where the
> publishing industries (paper, media) had control over things to a time
> where creators have more of a direct relationship with the users of
> data. And they do have to eat. It's only now being tested.

I dont want BSA, RIAA and MPAA to earn money from what I am doing.
They dont give me a penny but they earn money from my work and at
the same time they take money from me for every copy of my own
work - wether I store it on paper or data.

I have seen that same nonsense with "VGWORT" here in germany. They
claim to support starving writers but they dont give us a penny
untill we start publishing books. Then they come and take taxes.
But they always find an excuse for not paying you when you really
need it.

For me BSA, RIAA and MPAA is just a bunch of gangsters killing art
by stopping it from spreading and by fostering a bunch of willing
idiots.

> Like so many things, the people who tend to take polar opinions already
> have their bread buttered, and the people who don't are the ones who
> want butter . The answer certainly isn't 'DRM' as the corporations have
> them. What advocates of the implementation of 'DRM' say is not
> completely wrong, in that people do need to be compensated. If society
> is honest and inherently good, that shouldn't be an issue. The draconian
> measures that irk me aren't something a starving poet or artist would
> dream up. Creating for the joy of creation is fine, but if a child of
> yours said that they wanted to be a musician, wouldn't you be concerned
> about how the child would make a living? Or would you hope it was an
> April Fool's joke?

DRM is completely wrong. I prevents children from recording their own,
selfmade musik. It forces them to listen to some garbadge some grownups
deem good for them. It extinguishes their creativety. But it will never
feed them until they dont need it any longer.

> I don't know. What I do know is that nobody has really addressed all
> manner of creators being compensated because 'all manner' isn't defined
> yet, and will never be defined because people are always innovating.
> Then, too, there's what society is willing to support. And then, there's
> the issue of public domain which has been slowed in growth... if
> anything, I think that's a bigger threat than any form of copy
> protection (because that's what DRM in it's present implementation
> really is, or is evolved from).

It will never feed creative people because it depends on kilometers of
red tape bound by people who never have seen what creativety is or
they would not be in the red tape bussiness at all.

The only people profiting from DRM are censors and dictators because
DRM is perfect for controlling.

Creativety is the opposite of beeing controlled.

> Society needs poets, musicians, and other forms of creators. What we
> have to find are models which allow them - not the middle men - to
> continue to survive. Before I pull out the carpet, I'd like to know that
> there is a floor that works for creators around the world.

Creators dont need a red carpet for their bare feet. Bread and butter
would serve them. There are other people who are not interested in DRM
either but who are more interested in keeping the tax away from their
money. They are not creators any longer but they live already from the
works others have created for them. DRM cares for the wrong and at the
same time is kicking the ass of the real creators.

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium
mail: peter at echnaton.serveftp.com