[governance] Need for coordinators - Re: Public policy issues to be discussed at the first meeting of the IGF

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sat Apr 1 17:33:20 EST 2006

Le 1 avr. 06 à 01:16, Robert Guerra a écrit :

> Dear colleagues:
>
> For the record, I wanted to the members of this list know that Ihave
> just sent a collection of documents to the IGF secretariat.
>
> Sent just before 23:55 Geneva Time, the documents are the submissions
> which I had some doubt weather they had been submitted directly
> already.
>
> I thank the authors of the texts for their effort.

Frankly, I first thought this was an April 1st joke. We were in the
process of discussing how proposals should be submitted, I've myself
raised the issue, and Bill has just said that we had still some time
to decide what to do and how to do it, and you decide by yourself to
send some proposals ?

Can we have a clue on the way you chose the proposals you sent ?
You've sent 7 of them:

> <Equity for critical Internet resources.doc>
> <e-voting.doc>
> <affordable Internet access.doc>
> <user centric digital identity.doc>
> <The WSIS Principles on Internet Governance.doc>
> <Publicness.doc>
> <Open Educational Ressources.doc>
> <Promoting capacity building strategies-fr.doc>

Why those and not others ? Some of these 7 documents have already
been sent by their proponents. I don't even know whether all the
proponents wanted to have their proposals forwarded to the IGF: some
have sent them to this list for discussion by members of this caucus,
how did you make sure that the versions you sent were the right,
final ones ? how did you make sure that all proposals you sent were
still valid ? Parminder's proposal (<Publicness.doc>) has been sent
to the plenary with a call for support. one can reasonably assume
this was on the purpose of sending the proposal with a list of
supporting organizations, so that it gains more attention. The text
has been sent by you without any support. Etc.

I'm sorry to say this, but it seems that someone has to. The least
minimum would have been to send a clear message to the list saying :
"I'll send this list of proposal to the IGF on that day. Please react
before this deadline if you don't agree".

I think, whatever we decide (prioritizing or not, this is not the
main point now), we need at least minimal coordination on this list.
And we need coordinators, unless I've missed something and the
governance caucus has decided on nominating coordinators. In this
case, could someone please brief me on who are the coordinators ?
Otherwise, the last proposal I can find is Milton's proposal on March 6:

"I suggest that we conscript Avri Doria and Meryem Merzouki (or, if
she declines, Bill Drake) as co-coordinators for the next year and
charge them with facilitating the creation of a structure."

Then I declined (one caucus is enough:)). Then Jovan was also
proposed. Then we jumped in a discussion on the right to development
(which I would be pleased to pursue:)). Then themes proposals. Then
some complex process has been started to organize CS for the MAG...
And, unless I'm wrong, we don't have any coordinator yet!

Can Avri, Bill and Jovan tell us if they would be ready to act as
coordinators ? If they're not, can anyone else propose her/himself ?

Thanks in advance,
Best,
Meryem