[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] slight postponement oftoday's caucus meeting

carlos a. afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Sep 21 10:51:53 EDT 2005

McTim & all,

Nice to have met you too. :)

OK, being clearer hopefully... CS did a nice response to the WGIG report
(WSIS document WSIS-II/PC-3/CONTR/55-E)-- which was an excellent effort
to estabilsh consensus positions, and we went far ahead of what was
expressed in the specific IG statement of yesterday at the subcommitte A
plenary.

The CS response to WGIG is about 3,500 words -- we could have done a
summary if we could not read it all in the alloted time. Please bear
with me -- I did not have time to participate in the CS Prepcom 3
meetings until today, so I understand there might have been difficulties
I do not know about which led to yesterday's format.

Specifically regarding McTim questions, we all know that ICANN wants to
survive fundamentally as it is -- I bet you know that too ;)

Secondly, as can be seen in the CS response to the WGIG report, we see
the proposal of an advisory forum related to a global oversight
mechanism (there is as yet no consensus among CS on the **forms** of
this oversight, but we know it should be global, pluralist, independent
from any organization or specific government), one going with the other.
Otherwise, in my view, it might be like WAI -- essential accessibility
recommendations which most Web-based services do not follow.

So, let us make sure in all public presentations we strive to use what
has already been established as consensus.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272 - sexto andar
22270-060 Rio de Janeiro Brasil
tel +55-21-2527-5494
fax +55-21-2527-5460
http://www.rits.org.br