[governance] First prepcom interventions

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 19 10:23:06 EDT 2005

Thanks for these contributions. I am pleased to see part of the WGIG
comments of the Privacy & Security WG in Jeanette's statement. The
International Conference of Data Protection Commissioners that took place
in Montreux last week has also referred to the summit and sent a strong
message in its final declaration.
<http://www.edsb.ch/e/aktuell/konferenz/declaration-e.pdf>

We should pick up on this, in order to use its momentum (tactical details
over a coffee, some of them are involved in national delegations here and
should be supported).

Therefore my suggestion: If there are 30 Seconds left, could you please
add the last sentence below to this part?

Existing text:
<<The recommendations of the WGIG are a great step forward in the WSIS
discussions around privacy. Now, we all have to make sure that they are
integrated in any documents adopted at the Tunis Summit. Privacy and data
protection are too important in the Information Society to be forgotten in
the struggles over the core technical resources of the Internet.>>

New, to be added at the end:
<<The international conference of Data Protection Commissioners that met
not far from here last week also has emphasized this and has sent a
respective message to the WSIS in its Montreux declaration.>>

Thanks!

On another matter:

Adam Peake wrote:
> One disturbing rumor (we will find out for sure later today) is that
> observers will be given 15 minutes speaking time every 6 hours of
> discussion.  As sub-committee A meets for 3 hours each day, it seems we
> may only be able to speak every other day.  Will will argue against this.
I am not sure about this. I understood that here they count the overall
working hours, not per subcommittee. So if they start to have evening
sessions, we might even get two interventions per day.

Best, Ralf