[governance] What could happen this morning in subcom A

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Sep 29 05:39:50 EDT 2005

On Gio, 29 Settembre 2005 11:14, Wolfgang Kleinwächter disse:
> I agree with Jeanettes observation that the EU Proposal risks to open the
> door for a too detailed and heavy governmental cloud over the day-to-day
> operations. While 64 (introduction) limits the activities to "the level of
> principles", the following subpoints a. to e. are an invitation to leave
> this level downwards.
>
> If you remember the .eu nighmare you sould be warned about the practical
> consequences of such an approach. If a. to e. is a bargaining chip, it is
> fine. Question remains, is the critical mass which is grouping behind 64,
> big enough to move US and China?

In the last hour, the developing block (I remember India, China, Iran,
Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia) has spoken unanimously the same
way: we support the Iranian proposal, but we find the EU one quite
interesting. From the other side, only Norway and Singapore said that they
support the US views but find the EU proposal interesting as a starting
point.

Again, I will not comment on the Italian judgment on the EU proposal.
Personally, and not speaking as a member of the Italian delegation, I am
unhappy with the excessive level of governmental involvement that is
included in that proposal, even if drafted in a moderate way.

Canada introduced a very interesting proposal for the forum, which I
personally like more than the others. It makes explicit reference to the
open WGIG consultations as a model for multistakeholder participation in
the forum, and this would be very important. Also, it makes extensive
reference to online consultations and archival. I still have to get the
final text and read it carefully, but I think it would be useful if CS
tried to push the Canadian proposal for the forum para.

It now seems unlikely that a drafting group will be started immediately.
It might happen in the afternoon, perhaps. Let's see.

If people didn't see them, the "hottest" proposals (except the Canadian
one, which is too new) can be found here:
http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2063|2065|2067
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...