[governance] Canada's proposal on IG forum - its COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Sep 30 05:21:53 EDT 2005

On Ven, 30 Settembre 2005 9:52, William Drake disse:
> If we get the chance to take the floor today, I hope the caucus will
> reiterate support for its own position and diplomatically note the
> comparative limitations of the Canadian one, which many parties do seem to
> be flocking toward, perhaps because it is the most detailed language from
> a government.  They should read CS language too...

I agree. Maybe we should say something like:

"We support the language contained in the Canadian proposal from the
morning of September 29, about the Forum for what regards its structure
and functioning, and especially the mentions of the open WGIG
consultations as a model, and of the extended usage of online instruments
for discussion and knowledge dissemination; we reiterate that the rules of
procedure adopted by this Preparatory Committee for its subcommittees and
drafting groups do not constitute an acceptable starting point to ensure
the full involvement of civil society and the private sector in the Forum.

At the same time, we want to stress the importance of giving the Forum an
adequate role. We think that the mission of the Forum as outlined in the
Canadian proposal is incomplete, and we would like to see explicit
mentions of all parts of the Forum mission as described in the WGIG
report. We think that all those parts are required for the Forum to become
an effective instrument for global policy discussions."

However, maybe we should start to refer to the "Western paper" (which
other people start to indicate as "Canada paper" as well, just to increase
the confusion...), or eliminate any reference to papers and just ask for
our key points, i.e. reiterate our statement on the Forum. But I think we
should be focused and ask for some very precise and very vital points,
such as the explicit mention of the open WGIG consultations as a reference
for the rules of procedure.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...