[governance] Canada's proposal on IG forum - its COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Fri Sep 30 03:52:28 EDT 2005

Hi,

Parminder is right.  Upon inspection, it is entirely an ICT4D proposal,
building on programs and approaches Canada/IDRC have supported
previously---generally useful but not at all what WGIG or CS previously
had in mind.  All capacity building for developing countries, seemingly to
fit in to the topography of existing IG mechanisms, not dialogue,
analysis, trend monitoring, soft law making as necessary with an eye
toward improving them.  Capacity building is of course critically
important, but the other functions are needed.  The caucus statement is
much better that the Canadian, which makes no mention of the functions and
foci we specified, listed below.

If we get the chance to take the floor today, I hope the caucus will
reiterate support for its own position and diplomatically note the
comparative limitations of the Canadian one, which many parties do seem to
be flocking toward, perhaps because it is the most detailed language from
a government.  They should read CS language too...

Bill

--------
IG Caucus List of Forum Functions

a.	inclusive dialogue, with a differentiated architecture allowing for
peer-level interaction where appropriate, for example in Birds of a
Feather, working groups, study groups, plenaries, etc.

b.	comparative, cross-sectoral analysis of governance mechanisms, with an
eye toward "lessons learned" and best practices that could inform
individual and collective institutional improvements

c.	assessment and monitoring of horizontal issues applicable to all
Internet governance arrangements, e.g. the promotion of transparency,
accountability, inclusion, and other guidelines for "good governance,”
such as the WSIS principles;

d.	identification of weaknesses and gaps in the governance architecture,
i.e. "orphaned" or multidimensional issues that do not fall neatly within
the ambit of any existing body;

e.	identification of potential tensions between separately developed
mechanisms, and possibly efforts to promote enhanced coordination among
them;

f.	promotion of decentralized convergence among positions and initiatives,
where possible;

g.	pre-decision agenda setting that could, inter alia, feed into the work
of other bodies;

h.	provide a clearing house for coordination, resource mobilization,
identification of new needs and gaps, in relation to supporting meaningful
developing country participation and capacity building

i.	promote the usage of ICTs to allow remote participation in Internet
governance processes;

j.	release recommendations, best practices, proposals and other documents
on the various Internet governance issues.