[governance] Caucus Position on Oversight?

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit-multimedia.com
Sat Sep 24 18:17:41 EDT 2005

Bill,

I tend to agree with you that it is hard to get concensus both from the gov
side and CS side on actual models, text, etc. for oversight. As one delegate
said to me, unless we have a clear answer on strucure and process that is
clearly better than status quo, the status quo may still look better than no
clear alternative.

So I think recycling the text from WGIG may not be so bad (as you quoted
below), provided we also offer it some more teeth as you suggested- i.e.
some clear guidance on mandate of this group, timeline of working, and how
to work with other stakeholders (as peers). In other words, focus to get
them to agree on the concepts "multistakeholder" etc, and then agree to work
out the details post Tunis to ensure these concepts are translated into
action within a certain timeframe and a certain method to get these endorsed
post Tunis.

Meanwhile, I do think that the same approach could be taken for all other
related issues or the "forum" mentioned in WGIG. In fact this group or
"forum" should also be linked to SubCom B discussions on "followup and
implementation" architecture. These issues are also facing some deadlock,
plus since we are looking at ICT in a long term basis, we need a "forum" for
further discussions on the broader issues of ICT. Again, how this "forum"
should look like also requires more discussion, so the call for another
committee, again with clear mandate and timeline. So we focus on getting
them to agree on having such "forum" or "new form of cooperation" as per the
Chair's paper, but make sure there is a clear mechanism to make sure they
understand how to create it and discuss how to translate multistakeholder
into action (e.g. taking it out of organs such as UN where multistakeholder
is hard to implement as seen during the WSIS Prepcom processes).

If we stick to something along these lines we may get concensus from more CS
and maybe even gov (keeping in mind that those who want status quo I know
will see this as buying more time to delay any changes- but this may be
better than closing the issue altogether if deadlock happens).

I don't think we have all the answers on actual structures and procedures,
especially to work on within this one week over emails and physical
meetings. So you are right that we are unlikely to get concensus with CS on
any solutions we come up now. At max, as you suggested we may then get
statements with endorsements from whoever endorses it.

Laina