[governance] Caucus Position on Oversight?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Sep 24 17:23:00 EDT 2005

I’m following this as closely as I can from a distance. And I suspect
governments are in exactly the same position as CS was a few weeks a go,
with little time to explore the details of a structure, but the need to
draft something acceptable to all parties. The difference is that, at this
stage, something as loose as the CS indicative position doesn’t go far
enough.

There is at least a strong chance that no firm structural recommendation
will come from Prepcomm, but there seems at the same time (taking the Chairs
non-paper) an acknowledgement that some change is needed. I realize that
there are a bunch of ambassadorial types in Geneva from ISOC arguing the
opposite, but lets hope the argument that change is needed sticks. CS should
enforce that.

Usually before change occurs a “burning platform for change” needs to be
understood and realized. The burning platform for change here is:

“US unilateral control of root zone policy is unacceptable for an
international network. Period.” (apologies to Ambassador Gross)

If that acknowledgement sticks, a mechanism is needed to come up with a
structure acceptable to stakeholders. Maybe some recommendations to that
effect would be useful. I think you may need to concentrate on a mechanism
to evolve a structural recommendation post Prepcom.

The only other situation likely to be simple enough to satisfy would be a
“more power to GAC” one. Let GAC have a right of veto on root zone policy
issues. I know its not ideal to everyone, but is it more acceptable than
nothing happening or some ridiculous government top-heavy structure being
established for this purpose?

There’s some thoughts anyway. Good luck achieving anything next week! It
will require a big dose of pragmatism, from what I am reading.

Ian