[governance] Internet Governance : 10 questions for PrepCom3

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Sep 17 03:26:35 EDT 2005

Hi Bertrand,

I share more or less Bill´s view. He also singled out the three main points. We as IG CS Caucus should be realistic. This is an intergovernmental endgame and we will have only little impact, even if our input is well drafted and has all the good arguments on its side. As you said correctly, this is part of a bigger power struggle and I do not expect, that there will be a solution. Even the potential threat of a fragmentation of the Internet which could harm everybody, is not so strong that somebody in DC or MDR would get nervous. Did you hear a new statement from China the last couple of days?

But this does not mean that we should not go ahead with your questions for our own discussion. What I propose is that we are going towards an own Civil Society internet Governance Declaration for Tunis. (Like we had the "big declaration" in Geneva). In such a document, we can
a. formulate our principles, based on the Geneva language and the WGIG report, but a little bit more specific, in particular with regard to multilateral/multistakeholder and freedom of expression, privacy etc.
b. make clear proposals for i. the Forum, ii. the oversight, iii. the GAC reform, iv. the continuing ICANN reform and v. the need to open other IGO (ITU etc.) for multistakeholderism.

Such a document should be no longer than three or four pages, maximum. It could be drafted during PrepCom3, discussed until Tunis and launched with a special event during the Summit. This would guarantee also some media coverage.

See you tomorrow

Best

wolfgang