[governance] Internet Governance : 10 questions for PrepCom3

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Fri Sep 16 14:49:25 EDT 2005

Dear all,

PrepCom3 is probably the last real opportunity to influence
drafting of the Tunis Document : even if there is a last
minute compromise session three days before the summit
itself, it will be in Tunis, with probably no access for
civil society to the drafting committees, worse than last
time in Geneva. Two weeks of PrepCom may seem long but they
will fly quickly and there is a need to focus on the
essentials of what can be achieved.

PrepCom3 is about two major elements :
- follow-up / implementation
- Internet Governance

I believe Internet Governance is going to be the major
fighting ground among governments up to the summit. In that
context, we must list the key questions we want to see
addressed. I propose 10 below as a starting point to help
move forward.

INTERNET GOVERNANCE WILL BE CENTRAL IN PrepCom3

The open meeting on Sept 6 clearly demonstrated that
governments :
- care less about implementation than about Internet
Governance (judging by the very different attendance of
ambassadors in the morning and the afternoon)
- care less about general governance issues than about the
obvious root server question (ie ICANN evolution).

We can therefore expect an easy watering down of text on
implementation and a progressively more heated debate on
Internet Governance.

The reason for this situation is probably as follows :

- on implementation, no government really supports a strong
implementation framework : developped countries by fear
(sincere or pretended) of creating a "new bureacracy" and
some developing ones by fear of seeing others mingling with
their sovereign right to prevent the emergence of an open
society; as a result, the wording in the GFC report has
already been toned down from previous documents, as Ralf and
Parminder have noted (and even more in the very last
version, as identified in my review of modifications sent to
the Plenary list); the risk is only to see this trend
accelerate; still there could be ways to leverage the
present formulations in a positive way.

- on Internet Governance, things are different. China,
Brazil, India or South Africa devote most of their attention
and efforts to the ICANN question, because it is an
opportunity to oppose the US and affirm their status of
major Regional Digital Power. This focus has two additional
benefits : first, it is also a way to try and reinstall the
paradigm of the primacy of governments in the only field
where they are the ones knocking at the door to enter; and
second, this debate distracts attention from other
unpleasant issues such as freedom of expression or
censorship. (By the way, the fact that in this whole
process, the United States have managed to let themselves
become the country under fire on such an specific point as
oversight of the root server when there are so many
violations of freedom of expression and so many denials of
access to the internet and information in general in
oppressive regimes is beyond my comprehension.)

So Internet Governance - our main issue of interest on this
list - is going to be central during PrepCom3. In particular
I suspect we will soon see the .xxx question used
systematically to counter the "if it ain't broken, don't fix
it" theme used repetitively by the US representatives.
Governments such as Brazil see this as an example of
something that needs to be fixed (I don't want to open here
the discussion on the substance of that point).

WHAT WILL / SHOULD THE TUNIS DOCUMENT CONTAIN ?

The only important question at that stage is : what will get
into the final Tunis Text ? And what do CS actors want ? One
thing is sure : no detailed formulation is on the table yet
and the "food for thought document" of Ambassador Khan, a
mere proposal for a structure, was not even accepted as
formal input document for PrepCom3. In addition, his
reference to specific paragraphs of the WGIG report was
strongly opposed by the US delegation and the drafting will
start from a clean slate.

Some urgent questions for the IG Caucus are therefore (non
exhaustive list) :
1) is Amb. Khan's document STRUCTURE appropriate as a
starting point ? if not, what would we like ?
2) is the working definition of Internet Governance in the
WGIG report something we can live with ? (I personnally can
and commend the work of the group on that point, but others
may differ)
3) can we manage / should we try to replace the
formulation "multilateral, transparent and democratic with
the full involvement of all stakeholders" by "multi-
stakeholder, transparent and democratic", arguing that the
second part of the present formulation is always dropped ?
4) can we / should we insert - as some government
delegations including Salvador are also requesting - a
notion that the security, stability, continuity and
development of the Internet as a Global facility is
the "shared responsibility" of all stakeholders ?
5) should the issues listed in Part 4a) be placed in the
general framework of the revision of ICANN's MoU ? I suppose
this issue will not find its solution within WSIS but that,
like in the first phase, WSIS may call for the establishment
of a broad debate / work group on the reform of ICANN :
should we support/propose such an exit route if it offers
enough guarantees of multi-stakeholderism ?
6) on the role of governments - and not simply the so-
called "oversight function" - what do we really accept /
support / wish ?
7) should a mechanism be proposed for the identification of
new issues in addition to the ones listed in Part 4 b) ? Are
the existing ones appropriate ?
8) what formulations can be proposed to avoid that Part 5 on
measures to promote development have substance and do not
become a simple reiteration of the formulations of the
Geneva DoP and PoA ?
9)do we want a new multi-stakeholder Forum or the guarantee
that all fora (existing or new ones) function on the basis
of true and effective participation of all stakeholders,
with a minimal set of agreed rules (Governance Protocol) and
coordination mechanisms ?
10) last - but not least - is there / should there be any
articulation between the fora mechanisms dealing with
Internet Policy issues that this Chapter 3 addresses and
the "policy debate" section of the newly proposed Chapter
one on follow-up (see separate mail) ?

I hope this will help structure discussions during PrepCom3
and allow the IG Caucus to have a significant impact on the
final drafting.

Looking forward to seeing those of you that will be in
Geneva next week - I will miss the others.

Best

Bertrand