[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] compilation of comments on Khan's paper on IG online

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Tue Sep 27 04:45:29 EDT 2005

Yes, it is nice to see some CS comments in line with the governments'.

However, there are certain areas where CS comments, such as one made
on Para 43 (c) - regarding the role and responsibility of the Civil Society,
were not included. Adam asked to clarify this this morning, together with
a question on participation status of CS in drafting group.

Here was the answer I took note:

Khan (Chair)

Nothing in UN happens automatically You have to lobby agressively .

It's always an uphill struggle, to constitute gropus or like-minded
countries, people, advocate.

Your proposals are noted, reflected in draft documents, when you make
contributions these are valuable comments, broaden   don’t be
disappointed. Your presence is very important. Your constituencies
are also very important by governments. Your overall presence are
setting presence. On the question of stakeholder participation in
drafting groups. I kept information on this entirely clear   fluid
and flexible. We have not stalled the process. You would not have
having satisfied customers if you have discussion on what is right
and wrong, wheter we should create procedure during all the PrepCom.

Bear with us trying to sit with us   in the mean time, Ambasasdor
Karklins is working on   talking - probably there is no clarity  as
we have injected “constructive ambiguity”.

  As to your reflection of paragharps for comment and compilation, I
will ask Dr. Kelly to answer.

Tim Kelly:
Compliation document   take account all of your comments
electronically easier- and writing-
Para 43 and 44, discussed on Friday and yesterday, we have not
commented all of these, because subcom A received report from drafting group
All of them are available on the website.