[governance] compilation of comments on Khan's paper on IG online

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Sep 27 04:51:31 EDT 2005

Thanks for drawing attention to that Ralph.

Lots of good stuff, sometimes from surprising sources. But the section on
follow up and future arrangements looks particularly weak and going nowhere.
I think CS should submit something.

As stands the only thing (on comments received) that might have legs
structurally is a transition to internationalisation of root.

Karen was drafting something - I don't know the status, but maybe something
should be submitted soonest. Those on the ground can read the climate better
than I can, but what I would like to see added would include

A clause taken from WGIG report supporting forum as a means to address
issues.

A clause urging further examination of governance models. Carlos suggested
and there seemed to be general agreement about

"Agreement now on the immediate need of an advisory forum (with as many
additional functions as it is possible to negotiate -- and these might
happen in steps after the forum is created), and on the forms of funding
this forum to ensure pluralist participation from all regions and sectors.

- Immediate establishment of the process towards an international Internet
governance convention, deriving from it the oversight functions and
mechanisms needed "

Avri suggested, and there seems to have been no opposition, that

"Give the GAC, and some CS oriented ICANN  entity, perhaps the ALAC, or
something with wider inclusion of users or at least domain holders, seat(s)
on the board of ICANN and give the GAC the ability to cause a full review of
any ccTLD (and perhaps other issues related to national policies though this
is somewhat more difficult to define) decision".

Maybe that's too specific but something like "an enhanced role for
governments in ICANN" might cut.

I realize I am too remote here to talk about tactics, but perhaps this
summary of some of the points raised recently on which there seems to be
general agreement might prompt someone to come up with some suitable
statements.

Ian Peter
Senior Partner
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd