[governance] Subcommittee A meeting, 21.9.05

Jac SM Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Thu Sep 22 07:04:09 EDT 2005

actually,

I think it was Indonesia (not Malaysia) who brought up pornography as a
theme for discussion. Twice, once at the beginning, and at the end of
the session. The delegate suggested it be a topic under 3c, and then as
"negative use" of the internet.

jac smk

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>Hi, here are yesterday's notes on the Subcommittee A meeting taken by
>Milton Mueller. Sorry for the delay.
>

>Subcommittee A (Internet Governance) Wednesday Sept 21 2005
>
>Malaysia
>Bridging the digital divide is most important. Negative effects of
>Internet. pornography. issues of security trust etc prevents people from
>using e-commerce. If left unchecked could grow to be the demon of the
>Internet. Want a global mechanism to counter and to promote use of
>Internet. Interconnection costs. IP address management, root server.
>Public policy issues outside the purview of ICANN. Responsibility rests
>on sovereign nations.
>
>Barbados
>WGIG has discharged its responsibilities with distinction. Excellent
>basis for addressing challenges. Single country should not exert
>disproportionate influence, this situation must end. Governance
>structure should be based on geographical representation.
>Interconnection costs. Capacity building. consumer protection and
>privacy legislation necessary to promote widest use of internet. spam,
>illegal intrusion, etc. all stakeholders needed to solve these
>problems.
>
>Uruguay
>public policies - balanced, concise. costs of interconnection. an
>extremely sensitive and important pub pol issue.  Models 2 and 3 can
>create an appropriate basis for solutions.
>
>Philippines
>appreciate WGIG report. <missed the rest - had conversation with
>H.>
>
>Sri Lanka
>IP addressing policy should ensure regional and country-specific
>allocations. Interconnection should be based on cost-sharing.
>
>Kenya
>supports African group statement. supports Forum, but financial
>implications deserve careful consideration. Equitable distribution of
>resources important. GAC ICANN strengthened to deal with public policy
>issues. F/OSS, use of African languages. Sovereign equality of states
>and responsibility for public policy, shared at regional and
>international levels. We should be at a problem-solving stage now.
>
>Bangla Desh
>in 2000 govt took a policy on ICT. legislative and regulatory issues.
>
>Egypt
>
>Mexico
>Supports Forum. Invites subcommittee to work on its conceptualization
>to make it a reality. Supports privacy and harmonization of national
>legislation. Enhance user trust.
>
>Senegal
>....More small developing country support for interconnection cost.
>
>Thailand
>positive and negative aspects of internet. crime, viruses, hacking,
>spam, etc.
>
>UN Development Fund for Women
>Strongly supports Forum function. Commend WGIG for recommendation in
>para. 43. would like to see same guarantees in all IG structures.

> [...]

"Today I caught the scent of change. It moves me." - jhybeturtle/antagonyaunt

www.apcwomen.org; www.genderIT.org;
www.kryss.org; www.wao.org.my; www.sistersinislam.org.my