[governance] Fwd: Re: draft text on political oversight

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Tue Sep 27 10:56:14 EDT 2005

Even though you've already read it... we can still develop the thinking.

I agree with Milton in general wrt his question/thinking through. But
I think that the language could include a "such to be determined in
subsequent negotiations" or something like that.
About the case-by-case review - hate it. I haven't seen self-appointed
case-by-case review work ever.  What might work is to have an
independent audit committee or somethign like, that determines itself
what it should look at  - or that can be appealed to by stakeholders.
I'd love a peer-level muoltistakeholder oversight, but I know that
won't happen.

I think that strengthening the GAC won't work, cause then the policy
and technical may start to get mixed up, and I think that they should
be separate.

I'd support ICANN being ICANN with some changes (per many of Jeanette
and Avri's points), but not dealing with public policy. A separate
venue for public policy, and ICANN could refer policy items to it for
a (non-binding) recommendation if they so desired.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com
T&T Music and videos online