[governance] protest statement drafted by Avri

carlos a. afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Sep 28 05:09:31 EDT 2005

I agree with reading the statement this morning. We have very little
time left.

I talked to the head of the Brazilian delegation, he insisted this is a
matter of procedure, and I was upset because there is always a margin
for flexibility in these procedures (proven in practice), and because he
 was among the first to raise the issue in prepcom 2 and now at prepcom 3.

To decide to be among the first to *explicitly* raise the issue puts
Brazil in the contradictory position of being against the presence of
non-governmental organizations in the discussions. The head of the
delegation sensed this was a blunder, because this is not the policy
Brazil practices nationally (contrary to all other countries which
insist on this exclusion because they do the same within their borders),
and, as Vittorio reports, later on decided to propose a more "tolerant"
procedure.

I asked him to drop from the Brazilian declarations any mention to
"pluralist" or "multistakeholder" to be consistent with his position, he
of course disagreed...

--c.a.

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272 - sexto andar
22270-060 Rio de Janeiro Brasil
tel +55-21-2527-5494
fax +55-21-2527-5460
http://www.rits.org.br