[governance] MODIFIED draft text on political oversight

carlos a. afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Sep 28 04:47:45 EDT 2005

In any global oversight mechanism ICANN would of course be overseen by
it. What is not clear is if the form this would take is of a global
oversight *forum*.

Some proposals which vie for oversight have contributed to the confusion
by combining all functions in a single broad mechanism (which is
sometimes called a forum and should probably be called a *council* or
something similar -- this is the case of the Brazilian proposal, for
example). The way this will be organized will depend on the process, and
in my view this will start with an advisory forum.

In this case, proposals attributing to this "initial" forum oversight
over ICANN or even over an ICANN transition to become global (as Milton
suggests) would not be viable, unless the forum receives this as a task
from a number of instances, one of which is, in the present
arrangements, nothing less than the US government -- which, in any case,
would have to be convinced to agree to the process of internationalizing
ICANN in the first place.

--c.a.