[governance] Proposals tabled on oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Sep 28 13:25:46 EDT 2005

At the plenary session of subcom A, some wording proposals on governmental
oversight have been eventually tabled. They have not been distributed in
writing yet, we hope they will be made available shortly on the website
and in the room (many delegations only had the chance of listening to
them).

One is from the EU, and was negotiated among member states and agreed this
afternoon in a specific meeting of the high level group. I happen to have
a copy :) so here it is the specific para:

"64. The new cooperation model should include the development and
application of public policy principles and provide an international
government involvement at the level of principles over the following
naming, numbering and addressing-related matters:
a. Provides for a global allocation system of IP number blocks, which is
equitable and efficient;
b. Procedures for changing the root zone file, specifically for the
insertion of new top level domains in the root system and changes of ccTLD
managers;
c. Establishment of contingency plans to ensure the continuity of crucial
DNS functions;
d. Establishment of an arbitration and dispute resolution mechanism based
on international law in case of disputes;
e. Rules applicable to the DNS system."

Others are from Argentina (supported by some Latin American countries),
and from the African group. I will have to wait to read them in writing
before being able to really evaluate them and report them.

No news yet from China and the likes, but I'd expect something soon.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...