[governance] update on drafting groups

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Sep 23 05:28:22 EDT 2005

Update on drafting groups. From yesterday we were left with
governments trying to agree on three options:

(1.) Observers will not be able to participate in drafting groups.
Intergovernmental only.
(2.) Observers will be able to make written or spoken comments at the
start of a drafting group session and will then be asked to leave.
(3.) Observers will be able to make written or spoken comments at the
start of a drafting group session and will be able to stay as silent
observers.

These options were discussed again this morning and governments
cannot agree.  So the meeting asked the chairman of the prepcom, Amb
Karklins, to decide on which of the 3 options would be adopted.  We
are slightly hopeful that we might get option 3.  Options 1 and 2 are
not acceptable.

So we are waiting.

Adam