[governance] Internet Governance : CS Declaration / Tunis Declaration

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 16:01:42 EDT 2005

Dear Wolfgang and all,
 I am indeed in favor of a CS declaration on Internet Governance at Tunis.
But that does not mean we should not get involved now in the drafting
process of the Tunis Declaration part dedicated to Internet Governance. This
is the purpose of my 10 questions. If Bill has taken the time to read them,
they are not a reopening of the WGIG debate and they are right on the topic
of the proposed structure of Amb. Khan.
 The key issue of PrepCom3 is NOT yet the drafting of an alternative
declaration (although it is worth discussing there its principle and general
outline depending on how negociations evolve). It is not only to discuss the
issues addressed by the WGIG in more detail. The purpose IS to monitor
closely the discussions on the text the governments are drafting an try to
have an impact. How do we want it to be structured, what are the minimal
elements and the things we do not want ? How do we plan to lobby ? who are
the allies, on what topics ?
 To be more concrete, I do believe that governments will not agree in
PrepCom3 and probably not even during the Summit on substantive aspects and
probably not even on more than a multi-stakeholder principle and the need to
continue discussing this question. Using amb. Khan's structure as guide for
the moment, I believe they will agree on :
1) an introduction on :
- the mandate of WGIG and a note of its report (suggestion of Brazil)
- a reiteration of the Geneva Principles (multilateral , etc ...) This is
where my question 3 comes : should we ask for the replacement of
multilateral by multi-stakeholder ?
- the affirmation of security, stability, etc..of the Internet as a common
objective/guiding principle This is where my question 4 comes : inserting
the notion of "shared responsibility" ? I would add : should we ask to have
this paragraph moved one level up, before the principles ?
2) a definition of Internet Governance : this is where my question 2 comes :
do we endorse the WGIG's definition ?
3) separating infrastructure and management of critical internet resources
[Part 4a)], (that is : ICANN), from other Policy issues [part 4b)], without
getting in detail in the substance of the latter. This is where my questions
5, 6 and 7 come in.
4) a part devoted to "development-related issues" This is where my question
8 comes in
 Very open questions will be :
- the relationships between governments and ICANN : I do not believe there
will be any possible agreement there before Tunis among governments. the
only option (last minute compromize like last time) will probably be to
address this question after Tunis in the general framework of the follow-up
to the present ICANN MoU. This is related to my questions 5 and 6 : what
should be the framework for the discussion of the follow-up to ICANN's MoU ?
how should it associate all stakeholders ?
- the establishment of a Forum [resp Fora] : there the devil is in the
details and the key question is what form/procedures should such
mechanism(s) adopt ? This is my questions 9 and 10. Question 10 in
particular is of great importance, as it addresses the possible relationship
between different parts of the draft Tunis Document and could allow to get
on one side (implementation) what is not obtained on the other (Internet
Governance).
 So, sorry to insist, but these questions are very operational and down to
the point. Add other if you want - they are very welcome - but if you don't
address them, don't complain afterwards that CS positions are not taken into
account. Most diplomats in the room are not like us all, passionate about
Internet Governance. Apart from the general US-China battle on oversight,
most of them don't care a damn about these issues - if they understand them
-. In four months, most of them will not even think about the information
society and this summit any more. All they want is to be offer their heads
of state an agreement in Tunis, even if it is only to set up a specific
mechanism to address these issues further. Let's help them in a way that
sets the future activities in a proper balance.
 Looking forward to seeing you soon.
 Best
 Bertrand
  For clarity, I reproduce below the 10 questions of my previous mail :

1) is Amb. Khan's document STRUCTURE appropriate as a starting point ? if
not, what would we like ?

2) is the working definition of Internet Governance in the WGIG report
something we can live with ? (I personnally can and commend the work of the
group on that point, but others may differ)

3) can we manage / should we try to replace the formulation "multilateral,
transparent and democratic with the full involvement of all stakeholders" by
"multi- stakeholder, transparent and democratic", arguing that the second
part of the present formulation is always dropped ?

4) can we / should we insert - as some government delegations including
Salvador are also requesting - a notion that the security, stability,
continuity and development of the Internet as a Global facility is the
"shared responsibility" of all stakeholders ?

5) should the issues listed in Part 4a) be placed in the general framework
of the revision of ICANN's MoU ? I suppose this issue will not find its
solution within WSIS but that, like in the first phase, WSIS may call for
the establishment of a broad debate / work group on the reform of
ICANN : should
we support/propose such an exit route if it offers enough guarantees of
multi-stakeholderism ?

6) on the role of governments - and not simply the so- called "oversight
function" - what do we really accept / support / wish ?

7) should a mechanism be proposed for the identification of new issues in
addition to the ones listed in Part 4 b) ? Are the existing ones appropriate
?

8) what formulations can be proposed to avoid that Part 5 on measures to
promote development have substance and do not become a simple reiteration of
the formulations of the Geneva DoP and PoA ?

9) do we want a new multi-stakeholder Forum or the guarantee that all fora
(existing or new ones) function on the basis of true and effective
participation of all stakeholders, with a minimal set of agreed rules
(Governance Protocol) and coordination mechanisms ?
10) last - but not least - is there / should there be any articulation
between the fora mechanisms dealing with Internet Policy issues that this
Chapter 3 addresses and the "policy debate" section of the newly proposed
Chapter one on follow-up ?