[governance] it ain't broke

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Sep 23 04:23:52 EDT 2005

Veni, with due respect, this is a non argument. Of course - no one
cares about any kind of policy. They just want to improve their
standard of living. If you ask them what economic policy they prefer,
the vast majority wouldn't care even to respond, etc.

But that doesn't mean that any governance structure shouldn't be
improved when it is the underpinning for who controls who gets to use
resources and how. And in particular, governance structures for
critical infrastructure can and should be made more effectively
responsive to all stakeholders. You don't say well, the average
electricity user doesn't care about who provides their power, so we
shouldn't be talking about governments being involved in it. To
pretend that Internet Governance is fine because what we had 12 years
ago led to rapid uptake of the technology is surely unrealistic when
it's a totally different animal, and that attitude is the reason why
ICANN has not reformed itself into the responsive organisation many
of its initial supporters in the AP region had initially hoped, and
why there is so little faith in it.

Is it just me, or are the disagreements on the list, alongside the
sombre mood of the (excellent, thanks!) reports from prepcom,
suggestive that the WGIG report hasn't made as much of an impact in
aligning people's concepts of IG as we might have hoped?

Regards,

Danny

--
Danny Butt