[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] slight postponement oftoday'scaucus meeting

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Sep 23 03:54:57 EDT 2005

At 04:40 23-09-2005 -0300, Carlos Afonso wrote:
>Yes, Veni, starting with taking it away from the governator and the
>federal administration and turning it into a true global pluralist
>organization... it might even remain in Marina del Rey for the ones
>who enjoy that rich paradise :), but under a serious host country
>agreement. Now *that* will be an improvement!

There's something about the policy making here, or am I reading you wrong?

If we have to talk frankly, then we must say things the way they are.
A serious host country agreement... in most cases people believe that
should be under the UN umbrella, and mainly because they are
concerned about litigations in the US courts. Well, part of the
answer why the Internet became such a tool, is that it was let on the
market. Today, 12 years after the www, we are trying to regulate the
access to the Internet, the way people behave there, etc., etc. Now,
that's a little bit strange - we can't solve the problems within our
own societies, but we want to solve them on the Internet. Do you
believe this may happen?

Another topic - the way the Internet is being "governed" today. It's
obvious that for some this is the wrong way, and for others it's even
controlled more than necessary. So, whatever the decions is, there
will be about half of the people who will not be happy.

But if you go to the end users and ask them what model they prefer,
the vast majority wouldn't care even to respond. That's the truth -
the users are not interested if it's ICANN, or the UN running the
root management and the DNS and IP address allocation. They care that
Google works, that they have connectivity, and that there are no
viruses to ruin their (net)work.

As for ICANN, I also believe there's what to improve, and I believe
it is happening.... may be slower than some would have expected, but
better late than never.

veni