[governance] "new" process and players and its impact on IG

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit-multimedia.com
Wed Sep 21 17:55:36 EDT 2005

Hi Carlos,

I am sorry I did not get a chance to meet with you, but I just thought I
would share another perspective of this "new" process, being a newcomer
myself. I can see that the IG caucus group is a group that has been working
together to build concensus and common statements, and have done a great
job. I think however, we should note that on Monday night, the content and
themes group of the CS Plenary, changed the working methods of CS to mirror
the government group, i.e. Sub Committee A and B. They decided that the most
efficient and effective way for all caucuses at this point in PrepCom 3 is
to work using two CS working group...i.e. Subcommittee A group- which turned
out to be Internet Governance Caucus and Subcommittee B Caucus- which was
not in existence before an so newly created with Bertrand running it.

Considering this change, there have been new faces from other caucuses being
asked to channel their statements and points of view within IG. I think Adam
and Jeanette have done a great job under the circumstances to make the new
comers feel welcome and become facilitators to take their views into IG.
Many are newcomers but have views they would like to share, which they feel
are relevant to the broad definition adopted by WGIG on Internet Governance.

Adam and Jeanette have counseled the new comers from these caucuses on how
to best impact Subcommitte A by making their statements relevent to the
issues on the table of governments and to start proposing text. They have
also explained that in lieu of verbal submissions, caucuses could submit
written statements. Given this new dynamics, there is little room for
concensus building and unified statements aside from IG and trying to get
views on the table from different caucuses that related to the issues on the
table.

I know this is not the ideal circumstance given the work all of you have
done over the last year or two to build concensus positions, but it is
something that just happened as of Monday in the CS Content and Themes
Plenary, and we need to see how to work within it. What Bertrand with
Subcommitte B is doing is amazing too. His group meets 7-8pm every evening
and then again 10-11am the next morning. He works with small drafting groups
and tries to get concensus documents overnight, which is then reviewed by
the wider group the next morning. Whilst this is great, there are some NGOs
feeling very left out as they lack resources and energy to stay up 7-8pm and
overnight with Betrand's smaller group and again the next morning for coffee
in an area non-conducive for large group discussions. Those who can, have
been included. If this is concensus amongst CS, this can be said to be
questionable, but I think everyone is doing the best under the
circumstances.

Of course I don’t have the history of your first IG group concensus and so I
cannot comment on this, and I see there have been many responses on from
Bill and others to your mail, I thought I would share this thought on the
"new" process and players, so you also see how the dynamics and players in
IG Caucus has changed as of Monday, and how Jeanette and Adam are doing
their best under the circumstances.

I think if we keep as open and transparent, and try to understand how best
to work within the current dynamics of the greater CS group, we can make
some headway, or we can discuss how to make the process better before end of
this week or the next.

Just some thoughts to share.

Regards,
Laina