[governance] draft text on political oversight

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue Sep 27 10:12:41 EDT 2005

I have submitted the text on behalf of the Heinrich-Böll Foundation. So,
don't get too upset with me:-)

I have added a few remarks in reaction to comments from the IG caucus
meeting and in reaction to Theresa Swineheart and Paul Twomey, who
violently disagreed with our statement. They think point 4 of the
statement plays into the hands of China.

Here is what I read:

Political Oversight

62b: We recognize that the time has come for a change in the political
oversight of the logical Internet infrastructure. We do not recommend
the creation of a new oversight organization for domain names and IP
addresses. However, we do recommend the following changes with regard to
ICANN be implemented in a reasonable time frame:

1. The US Government recommits to handing over its pre-eminent role of
stewardship in relation to ICANN and enters into an adequate
host-country agreement for ICANN.

2. ICANN must ensure full and equal multi-stakeholder participation on
its Board and throughout its organizational structure by the community
of Internet users, civil society, the technical community, private
sector and governments.

3. ICANN must ensure that it establishes clear, transparent rules and
procedures commensurate with international norms and principles for fair
administrative decision-making to provide for predictable policy outcomes.

4. ICANN must establish a process for extraordinary appeal of its
decisions in the form of an independent multi-stakeholder review
commission, established on a case-by-case basis. Just to be clear, we
are not calling for an oversight structure, and we don't see an
independent review process as a path towards that direction.

5. Once all the conditions listed above are met, the US Government
transfers the IANA function to ICANN.

Its a start, nothing carved in stone...
jeanette