[governance] oversight

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Oct 14 05:47:33 EDT 2005

>>> Wolfgang Kleinwächter <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> 10/13/05 4:11 AM >>>
>With regard to the ICANN issues- three of the top 16 list - I follow
>largely what Jeanette has said. If the GAC brings its house in order,
>if the GAC clarifies its status and procedures (including membership
>/any idea about Taiwan?) and re-arranges its relationship with the
>ICANN Board (partly inspired by the EU proposal), this could work,
>but it depends where the borderline between "the level of principle"
>and the "day to day operation" is and how ther procedures for the
>interaction among the Board and the GAC are defined in detail.

This statement of Wolfgang's brings up the question that has always troubled me. Why is it that people recoil in horror from the EU proposal of a Council of governments, and in the same breath talk about "strengthening" or "improving" the GAC, which is nothing but a Council of Governments, one with no clear rules, which does not operate transparently, and which serves - or has the potential to serve - as a cover for U.S. unilateral control?

Is not a governmental council more dangerous within ICANN than outside it?