[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] Post mortem and next steps on IG

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun Oct 2 14:35:19 EDT 2005

William Drake ha scritto:
> Interesting to know.  I'd heard from others that the UK was probably not
> supporting this but just couldn't push the point as chair, and it has also
> bee suggested that it was sort of a rushed and maybe not entirely worked
> through, settled decision.  Would be important to clarify just how firmly
> united on the now semi-detailed proposal the EU is, which will have a big
> impact on the bargaining going forward.

The EU is, by definition, firm and united on a position until the
internal balance changes so that the position may change. The only thing
on which member states agree is that to show divisions in public is
absolutely to be avoided. There were informal attempts by some countries
to clarify that they were pushing for the EU position not to be the one
that it happens to be, but in the end everyone stands firm behind the
official position, while trying to privately convince everyone else to
accept to change it.