[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] Post mortem and next steps on IG

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Mon Oct 3 01:50:01 EDT 2005

Good points and yes, wonder if there is any thought given to this- see
Milton's and my comments on the emails regarding being careful to see what
we are fixing. I wonder if anyone has ever studied the models proposed
through the process Ira Magaziner started as opposed to pulling models out
of the air. I am sure this had been done but it would be good to know. Also,
I would like to see some of the princ of the White Paper, which did come out
as a compromise from  regional consultation with gov (Singapore, EU and some
other countries were involved in that process too), bus and civil society
around the world, could be considered in models we propose.

Bottom line- I too would like to understand the postmortem and next steps
issues of civil society. This would help some of us understand how to input
into these online collaborations and to see whatinfo to uncover through our
other channels if this helps.

Meanwhile, interesting, that this methology points to the other issue Avri
raised on how civil society is working at WSIS(I think it was in ref to
something regarding the CSP etc) . The similar problems raisd by them
(irritation of new comers) ironically did manifest itself in the IG caucus
in some ways and will continue on our online collaborations if we don't work
soemthing out soon, to be most effective.

How can we ensure a mechanism to ensure inclusive multistakeholder in the
WSIS process with governments and amongst civil society. (there have been
some work done in other quarters on this which we could learn from.)

More importantly, is just helping others who either could not be in Geneva
or had to leave Geneva earlier for "hardship" reasons, would like to be
involved before, at and post Tunis, or even to just decide if we should go
to Tunis at all.

Laina