[governance] Statement made in Plenary

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Oct 3 12:46:22 EDT 2005

Dear list,

I think what we are searching for is a "dual system" with a "governmental cloud" over the "private day-to-day-operations". Insofar has the EU proposal as an argument on its side, by saying they want to have governmental involvment "on the level of principle".

So what we have to discuss is more the specifics, that is the border line between the "day-to-day oprations" and the "level of principle", that is the design and the dimension of the "governmental cloud". The risk is that it can become easily a "dark could full of rain" which will set a lot of Internet territory under water.

The challenge is about the balance, something like a "dormant authority" for governments which is wakened up only in cases where for obvious reasons public policy is at stake. And for the rest (98 per cent) it should be full privatization. An "either or" will not work.

In my paper I have proposed "full privatization" (that is no government) for the root issue on the basis of four "if´s". One of the if´s is a new relationship between a reformed GAC and ICANN Board (which was opposed by Milton). The limits with the GAC are besides a lot of other things (legitamicy, legal foundation, procedures, membership etc.) the role of Taiwan as a full member which makes it impossible for China to recognize the GAC as a real option for a governmental channel.

The other problem is that David Gross said in his statement in Geneva, that for the US government the authorization function for the publication of zone files in the root, excuted by the NTIA, is part of the "day to day operaitons". With other words, it would not be the subject of the proposed regulation by the EU "on the level of principle", which is unacceptable for the ERU and others.

So lets move forward by looking more into the details, where governmental involvement is unavoidable, needed and useful and where it should be blocked and watered down to zero.

Best regards

wolfgang