[governance] Statement made in Plenary

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Oct 2 05:34:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am not sure that is the case,  (btw, i don't think i was thinking
as an engineer, just using a metaphor and a method suggested by
McTim's message).

I thought that this was key concern.  in fact, i would think it would
be a concern even if the US were to hold onto its control of ICANN
and the root longer then anyone on this list would be comfortable
with.  At the moment, there is nowhere for anyone to take a grievance
beyond the ombudsman who is an employee of ICANN except for the US
gov't.  If someone is unhappy with a decision or believes that
decision if contrary to established international principles and
norms, they must attempt to invoke the extraordinary power of the US
DoC to correct the problem.

I think what we were trying to do in this statement was suggest text
with the understanding that in the remote possibility that any part
of it would be adopted, it would diplomaticized.

Personally, I would be comfortable with changing all the language to
a request.  I.e.

We request that ICANN take steps to insure a full and equal msh
process ...
We request that ICANN establish clear and transparent ...
We request that a process for for extraordinary appeal ...
We request that ICANN negotiate and appropriate ...

Of course there are other words such as 'urge' or 'recommend'.

having worked through the text thinking of the words must and should
or even require, i find i would prefer different language that said
pretty much the same thing, but which recognized that this is not up
to us or the governement but is up to the ICANN and Us DoC.

On another topic, slightly, i think we should add elements that talk
about the stabilty and should indicate that we believe (if we have
consensus on such beleif) that if ICANN and the US DoC do not do as
we request believe that this will have the long range effect of
destabilizing the network, since it will give those who are
disaffected the excuse they need to take actions that would
destabilize; i.e establishing multiple root zone files.  and while i
believe that technology would find a way around this, it would still
be destabilizing.

a.