[governance] Vixie supports another root administration

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:31:08 EDT 2005

On 10/11/05, Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> >The USG has
> >said that it will be happy to give it up if there is smt better to
> >replace their "stewardship".
>
> Could you please point me to the official statement where this promise
> is made? I would respectfully suggest that it doesn't exist.

I was paraphrasing from sub-com A statements at Prepcom3.

The verbatim transcript might be online.

> >more probable that they have a duty to protect stability of the
> network.
>
> Could you explain to me how DoC's role does anything to protect the
> stability - physical, or other - of the Internet?

Having the DOC fulfill that role ensures the USG that it won't be done
worse by someone else (UN/ITU/whoever).  You seem to be worried about
a split root.   Well, the "catholic root" is one thing I mean when I
say "stability".

> It has been said that
> patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, and today the modern
> version of that is to claim that what one does "preserves stability and
> security of the Net." As a veteran of ICANN, I have seen that claim
> abused more times than I can count. So tell me, please, how it happens.

stability is preserved by not making revolutionary changes without
thinking them through e.g. Zhaonetgov-01.  In particular:
"I have discussed with some industry experts my idea to reserve a
block of IPv6 addresses for allocation by authorities of
countries....The details and constraints, in particular issues related
to routing table size, could be further discussed if this proposal
encounters favor."

> Why is the net more stable because of US control?

more stable than what? It's not stable enough right now, cuz some folk
are rocking the boat!

> And don't forget: stable to whom?

to all whose packets get delivered?

--