[governance] Vixie supports another root administration

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at isoc.lu
Mon Oct 10 03:02:19 EDT 2005

Laina Raveendran Greene wrote:

>Isn't there already 12 backups of the
>Master currently running outside of the US, and

Laina,

You are correct in that there are more physical servers than the 13
advertised in the root zone file. Those servers are "anycasted", ie they
are mirrors of the respective servers they duplicate and are
automatically synchronised. But since they are invisible in the root
zone file, many non-technicians do not consider them on equal footing
with the officially advertised ones.

>am I wrong to understand
>that these are run by groups e.g. WIDE in Japan, RIPE in Europe etc who will
>not listen to the US gov. That they will not allow any ccTLD just to be
>taken down

I am sure these operators do have a technical process in place to
validate changes in the root zone file. I am not so sure they have a
political process in place to validate these. If they would object to
these changes, that would mean that up to 3 servers out of 13 would no
more synchronise with the A root: a real danger for the stability of the
network (or at least its DNS part). My take is that they would
priviledge stability over the political aspects. I think this is the
situation ORSN wants to avoid.

Best,

Patrick Vande Walle
ISOC Luxembourg