[governance] Statement made in Plenary

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Oct 1 14:38:51 EDT 2005

Milton Mueller ha scritto:
>>From the peanut gallery, hours behind: why does this statement not
> address the rather threatening "oversight" proposals made in the Chair's
> "food for thought" paper?

Because, as I pointed out in another message, the Chair's paper came out
at 5pm (in print, only at 7:30pm), and we had agreed the intervention in
the caucus meeting at 2:30pm and then in a quick random meeting in the
office at 4pm.

So that brings back to Izumi's message about "how can we have procedures
to be more effective in reacting immediately?"

P.S. If I remember the paper well, I don't find the Chair's oversight
proposal so threatening: it said something like "at the end of the
transition period, we might examine the opportunity to establish a
government council" - i.e. a formula to mention the forum so that the
proposal would be acceptable to the LMG, but keep it totally
hypothetical so that the US could perhaps agree. It's a way, perhaps the
only possible one if positions don't move, for the Chair (and the
Summit) to save the day and get out of impasse on this specific point.