[governance] ICANN as model is contrary to Internet development

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Thu Oct 13 11:51:54 EDT 2005

Hi Laina

Good to hear your response to the issues I raised. It is important
that there be a serious discussion of these issues and too often
the question is framed as "for or against ICANN" rather than
"what is needed for managing the infrastructure of the Internet"

I disagree that with your characterization that the "Pre-1996, the
collaborative process was
> amongst a smaller group of persons and also some did not have any formal
> structures

as the nature of the change of pre 1996 and post 1996.

The pre-1996 was mainly in the hands of the technical and research
community for a long period of time (as far as I am aware), and protected
by an Acceptible Use Policy (AUP).

There were structures, but they were research or technical in focus.

"The Internet: On its International Origins and Collaborative Process
(A Work in Progress)"

I agree that there were problems that were developing with IANA.

But the response by the US government was to move to create commercial
structures, rather than to determine how to form the needed structures
keeping in mind the need for a technical and scientific orientation
for those structures.

The commercialization diverted the process of determining what was
needed.

In my proposal to the US government on how to understake the process
of creating the needed structure, I quote a document where one of the
pioneers of Internet development gave a helpful statement about the
criteria needed.

He indicated that "the governance issue must take into account the needs
and desires of others outside the United States to participate." His
testimony also indicated a need to maintain "integrity in the Internet
architecture including the management of IP addresses and the need for
oversight of critical functions." He described how the Internet grew and
flourished under U.S. Government stewardship (before privatization - I
wish to add) because of two important components.

The U.S. Government funded the necessary research, and it made sure the
networking community had the responsibility for its operation, and
insulated it to a very great extent from bureaucratic obstacles and
commercial matters so it could evolve dynamically.

He also said that "The relevant U.S. government agencies should remain
involved until a workable solution is found and, thereafter retain
oversight of the process until and unless an appropriate international
oversight mechanism can supplant it."

Also he recommended insulating the DNS functions which are critical to
the continued operation of the Internet so they could be operated "in such
a way as to insulate them as much as possible from bureaucratic,
commercial and political wrangling."

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/proposals/hauben/hauben.html

These continue to be helpful criteria for what is needed, and this is
all contrary to what ICANN represents.

I would add (as I did in my proposal) that there is a need for a better
feedback mechanism for whatever institutional form is created, so that
those administering and responsible for managing the Internet's
infrastructure have a clear idea of the effect of the management process
on the users of the Internet.

In this context, having a way for those users who care about the Internet
and its public purpose have a way to participate in discussing the
problems that develop. (I am referring to 'netizens' not to stakeholders.)
(Stakeholders are traditionally those with a 'self interest' while
'netizens' are those who are concerned with the 'public interest'.
Those with a 'self interest' need a way to express this interest,
but the decisions can't be a fight among those with commercial or
other self interests. The decisions need to be made by those who
can determine the public interest that is broader than any 'self
interest')

There are technical organizations that are not commercial. There is
the basis to create what is needed, if one can determine what is
needed.

The discussion of what is needed, however, instead gets diverted to
whether or not ICANN can be fixed or whether or not governments
will be a problem. Neither of these avenues of discussion are helpful
to the problem, as they don't identify the problem.

with best wishes

Ronda