[governance] ICANN as model is contrary to Internet development - Was:Re: Vixie supports another root administration

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Wed Oct 12 19:37:10 EDT 2005

Dear Rhonda,

Whilst I agree with many of the points you have made to date, here is where
I am not sure I totally agree. Pre-1996, the collaborative process was
amongst a smaller group of persons and also some did not have any formal
structures (I can share my experience with the APNIC process, etc). IANA
especially needed more formal structure, hence many of those efforts e.g.
Postel draft, Green and White Paper, etc. I think it was the process of
trying to be more inclusive and international was interesting, this was the
first time other governments, other players etc were being consulted on how
to "internationalise" the "oversight" issue (IMHO). As you mentioned, when
ICANN was being formed, there was no indication of  looking for others
opinions or thoughts, and hence what I mean it started off "broke" for those
who thought they were helping to create something more neutral and
international, through the consultation process.

There is much to be learnt from the Internet model of cooperation e.g IETF
rough concensus etc, but there was also during those days some recognition
that using webpages and emails alone did not create inclusiveness and
legitimacy. Here in Asia many of these bodies online and offline became felt
as a North Asia versus South Asia issue- different stages of development and
different styles of working, etc. Even ICANN had issues that not everyone
could attend their meetings in exotic places, whilst ironically they held
them in exotic places sometimes to try to be inclusive. So I think we need
to learn from everywhere, as you suggested from books about Netizen.

Yes, I agree there is much that happened post ICANN that also contributes to
what does not work. It is not just pre-1996, but pre and post ICANN, from
other Internet bodies, and also we should learn from non-Internet bodies
talking today about "true forms of Governance", organisations that have
studies crossculturalism and its impact on organisation, etc. I guess this
is what I meant that let's understand what is "broke" and then fix it or
before suggesting creating something new.

Regards,
Laina