[governance] ccTLD regulation [WAS Re: Statement madein Plenary]

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Mon Oct 3 14:00:22 EDT 2005

I agree with Lee that a purpose-built IGO would be better than the ITU,
and that's the right place to start.   Personally, I could live with the
ITU as a fallback on the ccTLD issue, so long as I thought it would stop
there.   And, for now, I do.

But Jeanette's comment has me worried.  Other than the natural
morphological resonance of the universe, why would one tend to think that
giving ccTLDs to an IGO/ITU would make it more likely that IP# -- which
are of enormous interest to the private sector and perhaps much more
propertyfied than ccTLDs -- would be likely to follow?

Someone else noted the issue of the non-governmental ccTLDs.  I fully
agree they likely to be shafted here, and that this is unfair.  I do
think, though, that this is or at least ought to be primarily an issue of
domestic law in the nation where the ccTLD operator resides (which is
required to be the nation to which the two-letter code commonly refers).

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> Oh sorry, Lee. I was replying to you and Michael. It was Michael who
> mentioned the ITU. I should have been clearer.
> jeanette
> Lee McKnight wrote:
>> Where did I say give it to the ITU?
>>
>> And where did I say what exactly governments deserve re their ccTLDs?
>>
>> I also don't think I said that it shouldn't be multistakeholder.
>>
>> I did say CS should define the role governments deserve, particularly
>> in regards to ccTLDs.
>>
>> So figure out how to circumscribe (the government role) tghtly so they
>> don't muck things up.  Right now one government has a role, which many
>> in CS think it doesn't deserve or at least not just by itself.
>>
>> Lee

[much trimmage]
--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net