[governance] ccTLD regulation [WAS Re: Statement madein Plenary]

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Oct 3 15:09:09 EDT 2005

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law ha scritto:
> Someone else noted the issue of the non-governmental ccTLDs.

What do you mean by "non-governmental ccTLDs"? I'm not sure I understand
what you are referring to.

I fully
> agree they likely to be shafted here, and that this is unfair.  I do
> think, though, that this is or at least ought to be primarily an issue of
> domestic law in the nation where the ccTLD operator resides (which is
> required to be the nation to which the two-letter code commonly refers).

Well, no, there are cases in which this is not true (e.g. .nu and .tv).
Years ago there was a controversy between the government of Niue and the
ccTLD manager which, outside the country, was running the TLD basically
as a gTLD targeted mainly at Scandinavian countries; the government
wanted to get it back, but apparently couldn't, and the ccTLD manager,
being in another country, was not subject to its power. At that time,
this was brought up as an example of the problems caused by the lack of
sovereignty by countries over their ccTLDs. I am not sure about how that
ended, though - any information on this would be appreciated.